Our Bishop, Oscar Cantú, has provided all the parishes in the diocese with guidance on how to slowly re-open as the pandemic wanes. This guidance complies with the various rules, recommendations, and restriction from the Governor’s office, CalOSHA and the Santa Clara County Health Department.
Beginning the weekend of June 19th/20th, we will begin to implement this guidance in our parish. These are some of the changes you will see over the remainder of the month:
- Please note that there are no changes to our Mass schedule or locations.
- Reservations for Masses and sign-ins will no longer be necessary. Seating is first-come, first-serve.
- The new three-foot (3’) distance between family groups rule will be implemented in one-half of the pews at St. Nicholas’ Indoor Masses and 6’ distance on the other half, in order to accommodate more parishioners.
- 6’ Social Distancing at St. William’s Indoor and Outdoor Masses remain the same.
- Presiders, Lectors, and Cantors will be allowed to remove their masks when performing their roles within the Mass.
- We will return to the ordinary method of distributing communion where communicants come forward to receive from the Blessed Sacrament from the priest, deacon and/or Extraordinary Minister, at all Indoor Masses.
- While still required to wear masks, the assembly is now encouraged to join the cantor and choir in singing. We will again begin projecting the song lyrics at all Indoor Masses.
As has always been the case, my goal with the new State regulations is to slowly help us return to “an as normal Mass celebration” as possible, while still providing you with three options to attend either an Indoor, Outdoor, or Livestream Mass, according to your comfort level. Thank you for your continued help, support, and patience as we work together to have a safe and sacred encounter with Christ.
Peace in Christ,